The word anxiety is defined in the dictionary as something that induces a “feeling of unease, nervousness, or worries about something that has an uncertain outcome.” In medicine, anxiety is often referred to as GAD or Generalized Anxiety Disorder that is defined as persistent or pervasive worrying about everyday events and activities, which a person finds difficult to control.
In general, anxiety is a coping mechanism of the brain when faced with fearful or unwanted situations and increases the ability to flee or fight the threat. When this anxiety grows out of control, it interferes with a person’s daily life. It is usually triggered by stress and depression but can also occur due to any number of reasons.
A person suffering from anxiety disorder needs to make certain lifestyle changes to cope with anxiety effectively. These methods do not include medications and their results vary from person to person. Here is a list of the most effective techniques used to deal with anxiety:
Most Effective Techniques To Deal With Anxiety That Do Not Require A Prescription
1. Controlling Your Mind-
People suffering from anxiety disorder first need to accept the fact that they cannot control everything. Put your anxiety in perspective and write down or keep a journal to write down your feelings and thoughts.
There are certain ways you can control your mind like-
- Giving Your Best- Do not think about the outcome or end result. Try to give your hundred per cent or do your best and be proud of your achievement instead of scrutinizing it and feeling inferior.
- Have A Positive Attitude- The best way to approach a problem or situation is by having a positive attitude. Even if you have a negative thought, try to think of something positive or happy.
- Identifying Symptoms- Anxiety disorder is generally characterized by shortness of breath, sweating, palpitations and others. Therefore, by noting or writing down your symptoms, you will feel better and be in a better position to deal with an anxiety attack.
Exercising is a brilliant way to deal and cope with anxiety disorder. You can do any kind of exercises such as cardio, Zumba and yoga. Yoga and meditation can be relaxing and can give you an adrenaline kick that helps overcome anxiety attack. Exercising and yoga lead to the release of endorphins in the brain. However, if you are not a fan of yoga or exercising, you can try other physical activities like cycling and swimming that create a distraction and counteract low mood and stress.
3. Eat A Well-Balanced Meal-
Food plays an important role in alleviating depression, anxiety and stress. Therefore, it is important to not skip meals and follow specific diets that result in loss of nutrients and harm your body. There are certain superfoods that you should include in your diet that boost energy and lead to the production of serotonin. Include avocado, as it is rich in vitamin B, monounsaturated fat and potassium. It helps in lowering the blood pressure level. Having a warm glass of milk helps treat insomnia, that triggers anxiety. Along with milk, you can also munch on almonds, which are a great source of vitamin B2 and E that help bolster the immune system during times of stress.
4. Other Lifestyle Changes–
- Limit Alcohol And Caffeine- Having too much alcohol and caffeine can lead to aggravation of your mood leading to panic attacks. Moreover, having too much caffeine can lead to insomnia, which is again a cause of anxiety.
- Getting enough sleep- It is important to get adequate rest and sleep. During sleep, your body and mind get time to relax and rejuvenate which is vital for your normal functioning.
- Get off social media- A lot of anxiety disorder in people are being triggered by social media, which is very addictive and provokes a person to feel inferior and incomplete. Your life starts spinning around social media and how many likes you have got. Moreover, you also start to compare yourself to others which can be harmful and devastating for your self-esteem. Hence, the solution is to unplug or disconnect with social media for at least an hour or two in a day, possibly before going to bed.
5. Others- When you are having an anxiety attack, try to take deep breaths and count to 10 so that it helps you relax and calm down.
Anxiety disorder can be overwhelming and very uncertain like your health. Mental health is precarious and physical health precious. Therefore, one should not neglect one for the other. Life is full of unexpected surprises and unforeseen pitfalls. Therefore, get a health insurance today and secure your family from medical emergencies.